Wednesday, February 11, 2015

Why Am I Here?

My Sister's Keeper: Why am I here?

The beginning of My Sister's Keeper is quite a dark start. Creating another daughter as an extra for parts for your first daughter? Talk about a way for a child to be used. I mean, that's not quite the answer that you want when you ask your parents how babies are made. And really? A reason to love her more? Can you really expect a child to believe that after you specifically say they created her in order to save her sister? No, it wasn't 'we really wanted to have a second baby' it was more 'we needed another child to use to save your sister and you were the extra that we ended up with'. They harvested her bone marrow at age six. Obviously she isn't old enough to give consent for them to do things to HER BODY. Anna is specifically says 'When Kate needs leukocytes or stem cells or bone marrow to feel her body into thinking it healthy, I'm the one who provides them. Nearly every time Kate's hospitalized, I wind up there too'. Their  mother just gives Kate so much more attention the Anna. She just acts like she cares so much more about Kate then Anna. It almost reminds me of Cinderella and Anna is just kind of the one who does everything because of her mother. This effects her so much that she feels the need to go to a judge in order to sue her parents for her rights to her own body. Imagine feeling so used that you actually have to go to court in order to get your parents to stop. That is such a human rights violation, and by her own parents too. She was never even asked, just told what to do. She's finally gotten to the point where it never stops. Anna doesn't want her sister to die but she's the one always dragged to the hospital when her sister is sick, it's like they're both sick. The only reason that Anna exists is because her sister is sick, the whole situation just makes it seems like she's so replaceable. If she dies, they'll just have another baby to use for replacement parts. I can relate to this situation. My brother was sick all the time when he was little. He was born with anemia and another disease. He's been close to death multiple times. In this case, I happened to be the first child. There was talk of him needing a bone marrow transplant and of course, I, would be one of the potential matches as well as my parents. I also had a choice whether or not to do it or not. I had the choice to be tested as a match. I felt bad, but I said no. In the end it turned out he didn't need the transplant, he needed another surgery to have his spleen out and of course he could live without that… plus we all only have one spleen and if I had, for some reason, donated mine then I would be stuck without a kidney so that would be pretty pointless. I can't imagine what it would be like not to have a choice. I would feel so worthless and used and unloved. I'd never be able to believe the fact they would 'love me more' because of this. I would feel exactly the way Anna feels, a freak, and not even able to have a real childhood. This forces her to grow up so fast.

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/236x/4e/60/32/4e6032344c45f53421b5c6243719dc92.jpg

1 comment:

  1. I agree about Kate, but what do you think about the mother and father about their parenting choices?

    ReplyDelete